| HOME | ABOUT | ARCHIVES | SUBSCRIBE | CONTACT | JOIN US |

Evra Ups The Ante Ahead Of Manchester Derby

Posted by Saim Thursday, September 17, 2009
Blog Widget by LinkWithin


The seemingly tasty Manchester derby just gets a bit more tastier


Manchester United left back Patrice Evra has gone on the offensive ahead of this Sunday's Manchester derby saying Manchester United will show everyone including City who the real kings of Manchester are. The feisty full back who is in a rich vein of form says that Manchester City have started well and would look to build on the momentum but Manchester United are more than capable of halting that run.

Evra speaks...

"City will want to show people they are the kings of Manchester but they aren't yet. We have to make sure that doesn't happen. People get jealous and just want to say bad things about our club but we are OK. You always want to win when you're playing City in the derby."

Evra concedes that City will be a tough proposition and that Manchester United respect them but adds that United go into every game to win and things will be no different this Sunday.
"They are going for the Champions League. It will be difficult against them because they haven't lost. They are ambitious and want to stay in the top four, they've bought a lot of players and beat Arsenal 4-2, so they will be going into the game with a lot of confidence. But we are confident because we are Manchester United. Over the years, we have won a lot more than City and we need to make sure we do that again. We have a lot of respect for City but we are Manchester United and every time we play City we really have to show that."

Evra also shares how he tried to stop "friend" Carlos Tevez from leaving and is slightly disappointed that Tevez decided to move.
"I was surprised he left and a little bit angry about it. He's a friend and was a great player for United and when you lose a great player it can be difficult to accept. That's why I was surprised. I kept talking to him, telling him to stay here. I tried to persuade him to stay because I didn't want to lose my friend. But he made a choice and I respect that."

Patrice is though wishing that Tevez is fit enough to make it to the derby and says that he has promised Carlitos to join in in if the fans boo him.
"We have been joking a bit in texts to each other. He told me they are coming to win here. I'll wait for the reception he gets from the United fans but I think Carlitos will do a great job for City. He's a good professional and he respected the United shirt a lot. The fans loved him. I don't know if they will boo him but, anyway, I said to him, "if they boo you, I will boo as well with the fans!" I'm sure he doesn't want to miss this game. I think he might make it because he's a warrior and he wants to play. He had some good reasons to go and I told him "good luck". It's not about one or two players at Manchester United."




What should be the 1st choice midfield combo for United?